Monday, 24 March 2008

It's starting to come together


My understanding of Cocoa is getting pretty good now and I'm churning correct code out at a pretty quick rate now. Long gone are the days where I needed to check manuals or download code samples to figure out how to do things. I've changed the main selection menu to a outline view, allow the user to see context dependent information for accounts, investments and currencies. Next to a account name is the $ balance of the account. Next to an investment is the current value of that investment and next to a currency is the exchange rate of that currency to the base currency. Stock and currency prices are automatically downloaded from the Internet in a separate execution thread when the application starts. The yahoo.finance download site seems a little tempermental at the moment, but at least it doesn't cause my application to hang. Also I've changed the popout drawer to also handle investment transactions, meaning the user can add buy, sell, dividends etc.
I'm trying to get foreign currency exchange rate calculations setup. I still need to properly implement two-way account transfers and tidy everything up. The litmus test will be if I can start using the application to record my own financial data.
Finally the user interface needs to be cleaned up and graphs implemented. A big decision is going to be whether to install and develop this in leopard. Leopard does have some nice features included in X-Code but it would be cool to keep this application compatible with 10.4 - Tiger.

No comments: